This minor release fixes the problem in version 4.0 where clippings were disappearing when upgrading from Clippings version 3.2 or older. Users who have not yet upgraded to version 4.0 (before it was withdrawn from the download sites) can now upgrade to version 4.0.1 without fear of having their clippings disappear on them.
What if I have already upgraded to version 4.0?
If you have already upgraded and have noticed that your clippings have disappeared, please click here to see the blog post for instructions on how to get them back.
Clippings 4.0.1 does not introduce anything new except for the fix for the disappearing clippings issue, as described above. Users who already have version 4.0 can upgrade to version 4.0.1 anyway.
What's new in Clippings 4.0/4.0.1
For readers who missed out on it when version 4.0 was originally released, here is the list of new features and improvements:
- Customizable data source location. You can now change the location of the data source using the new, redesigned extension preferences dialog.
- Data source backup and restore from Clippings Manager
- Search for clippings in Clippings Manager using the new Find Bar
- Auto-incrementing placeholders. These are special placeholders that
you will be prompted for once to enter a starting numeric value; every
time the clipping containing this placeholder is pasted, the placeholder
will be automatically substituted with a value that is incremented from
the last paste. Auto-incrementing placeholder names are in the format
- Tab-modal placeholder prompt dialog for Firefox. With this enhancement, it is possible to interact with other browser tabs in the same window while prompted for a clipping placeholder value
- Auto spell checking of clipping text (in New Clipping dialog and Clippings Manager)
- New extension option to enable or disable the shortcut key prefix, CTRL+ALT+V (or Command+Option+V on Mac OS X)
- Shortcut key help. Press the usual shortcut key prefix, CTRL+ALT+V (or Command+Option+V on Mac OS X), then press F1 to get a list of shortcut keys and the clipping they are assigned to. This list can be printed, or saved to an HTML file.
- On Firefox, add the Clippings toolbar button to the Add-on Bar, if it is not there already
Things you should know about Clippings 4.0.1
- If you are a new user of Clippings, the default data source location will be your Firefox or Thunderbird profile folder. If you're a current user upgrading to version 4.0.1, your data source location will be unchanged. If you want your clippings to be available in both Firefox and Thunderbird, you will need to change the data source location to a folder accessible to both applications.
- Changing the data source location will not automatically move your clippings to the new data source. If you want to move your clippings into the new data source location, you should export your clippings (using Tools → Export in Clippings Manager) before changing the data source location. After changing the data source location, you can then import your clippings (Tools → Import in Clippings Manager).
- The status bar in Clippings Manager is now turned off by default, to reduce visual clutter. This only affects new Clippings users; the status bar will still be visible to existing users who are upgrading from a previous version. The status bar can be turned on or off anytime by selecting Options from the Tools menu button in Clippings Manager.
How to get it
Clippings 4.0.1 is available for download from Mozilla Add-ons, or from the Clippings website.
If you already have an older version of Clippings installed, it will be upgraded for you if automatic extension updates are enabled. Otherwise, open Extension Manager (Tools → Add-ons), then right-click on the entry for Clippings in the list of installed extensions and choose Find Update.
Users of Portable Firefox or Portable Thunderbird: Starting with Clippings 4.0/4.0.1, the default location of your clippings data source will be the Portable Firefox or Portable Thunderbird profile folder, which is usually located on your portable media (e.g. USB thumb drive). As a result of this change, the "Portable Edition" of Clippings is not needed anymore, and is no longer available.
Help and support
Questions and comments about Clippings should be directed to the AE Creations forums, now hosted on Google Groups.