This release is being made available for testing, and although it is in a fairly stable beta-quality state, expect to encounter the inevitable bugs. If that scares you, then stick to the latest stable release.
Clippings 6 is a WebExtension release that is compatible with Firefox 57 and newer (and will work with Firefox 56). It has most of the features from the legacy versions of Clippings, although there are a few which are not available; most notably:
- Adding or editing color labels on clippings
- No prompts for placeholder values are displayed when pasting a clipping containing placeholders; a search-and-replace on placeholders needs to be done after pasting. Does not affect built-in placeholders (e.g. for the date)
- Cannot export to an HTML document
Clippings 5.x Users
- Remember to back up your clippings data before upgrading to Clippings 6! After installing/upgrading to Clippings 6, you will be prompted to import your backup file.
- If there were labels on clippings in the imported data source, they will be brought over to Clippings 6 with the import; the color labels will appear on the Clippings context menu. However, labels cannot be edited for existing clippings, or added to new clippings. This will be fixed in a future release.
Things You Should Know About
- Due to WebExtensions being restricted from using any keyboard shortcuts that start with CTRL + ALT, the keyboard paste key has now changed - it is now ALT+SHIFT+Y (Cmd+Shift+Y on macOS).
- Clippings Manager can import the legacy Clippings RDF/XML datasource file format (*.rdf files) as well as the new Clippings 6 format; however, it can only export to Clippings 6 format. To exchange clippings from Clippings 6 with other users, they need to have Clippings 5.5 or newer installed.
How to Get It
Note that the layout of the Mozilla Add-ons website has now changed. To obtain the beta 1 release, search for Clippings, then under the heading "More information", click "See all beta versions", then locate the entry for Version 6.0b1 and then click Add to Firefox.
Help and Support
Send your questions and comments to the AE Creations forums. If you wish to report a bug, you may do so in GitHub; you will need a GitHub account if you don't have one already.