clippings-2.0.xpi (89 KB; compatible with Firefox 1.5 - 1.5.0.x and Thunderbird 1.5 - 1.5.0.x)
Supported languages: English (United States), Chinese (traditional and simplified), French, German, Italian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Ukrainian.
If you already have Clippings installed, it will be upgraded for you if automatic extension updates are enabled in Firefox. Otherwise, open the Extension Manager in Firefox, then right-click on the entry for Clippings in the list of installed extensions and choose Find Update.
Summary of New Features
- Now works with Mozilla Thunderbird! Clippings can be created from both the message view and the message compose windows by dragging selected text into the Clippings icon on the Thunderbird status bar. Clippings can also be inserted into the body of an email message in the message compose window using the context menu.
- Folders and subfolders to organize your clippings. You can choose which folder to place a new clipping in, create new folders (or delete folders you no longer need), and move or copy clippings into folders in Clippings Manager.
- Automatic back up of Clippings data. Back up files are stored in a ".clipbak" folder in your Firefox user profile folder.
- Automatic recovery of corrupted Clippings data. Clippings can now detect corruption of the data source file (clipdat2.rdf) and restore it from backup files.
- Export Clippings as HTML for printing or display in a Web browser.
- Export as Clippings 1.x format, for backwards compatibility with Clippings 1.x series.
- Clippings Manager window dimensions now remembered between sessions.
- Numerous bug fixes.
Due to problems with getting many of the new features to work with Firefox 1.0.x and Thunderbird 1.0.x, Clippings now requires Firefox 1.5 or newer and Thunderbird 1.5 or newer. Users who have not yet upgraded to the latest versions of Firefox and Thunderbird should do so in order to use Clippings 2.0.
A Quick Start Guide is now available for first-time users. See http://clippings.mozdev.org/help.html.
Support requests should be emailed to the Clippings mailing list at clippingsmozdevorg. If you think you found a bug, please do a search first to see if the issue hasn't been reported yet. Bug reports can be emailed to the Clippings mailing list; or if you have a Bugzilla account on Mozdev, you may file a bug report at http://clippings.mozdev.org/bugs.html.
Update: There appears to be a problem with getting automatic updates to work. I am looking into it; but in the meantime, users who want to upgrade now can uninstall their existing version of Clippings and then download and install Clippings from http://clippings.mozdev.org/installation.html. Note that uninstalling Clippings will leave your existing Clippings data intact - it will not be deleted.
Update 2: If Firefox won't update Clippings, either automatically or via the Extension Manager, clear your browser cache first, then try manually updating Clippings in Extension Manager again. I'm still looking to see if a better solution can be found.
Update 3: The automatic update problem seems to be resolved.