Read on to learn what's new in Clippings 6.1 and how to get it.
- The keyboard paste shortcut key prefix (default keys ALT+SHIFT+Y or Command+Shift+Y) can now be changed. On Windows and Linux, it can be set to ALT + SHIFT + (A-Z, 0-9, period or comma). On macOS, it can be set to Command + Shift + (A-Z, 0-9, period or comma).
- Clippings Manager now saves the ordering of clippings and folders; they can be reordered by drag and drop in the Clippings Manager tree list. The clippings and folders will also appear in the Clippings browser context menu in the same order.
- Synchronize your clippings between Firefox and Thunderbird, or other Firefox instances, with the new Sync Clippings feature. Sync Clippings lets you synchronize a subset of your clippings so that they appear in both applications.
- Backup reminder notifications. When this feature is turned on, a notification will appear, reminding you to back up your clippings. Click on the notification to backup your clippings through Clippings Manager. The frequency of the notifications (daily, weekly, monthly or never) can be set in Clippings preferences, or when the backup reminder notification appears for the first time
- You can now export your clippings to CSV format. This can be done from Clippings Manager (click Tools → Export).
Things You Should Know About
- Clippings 6.1 requires Firefox 60 or newer.
- If you want to use Sync Clippings, you'll need to download and install the Sync Clippings Helper application. More information and download links can be found on the Sync Clippings page on the AE Creations website. The Sync Clippings Helper app is currently available for Windows only.
- The first-time backup reminder notification will appear approximately 5 minutes after installing Clippings; it has been set as such for beta testing purposes. In the official 6.1 release, the first-time backup reminder will appear 7 days after installing or upgrading to Clippings 6.1.
- Clippings won't work in Private Browsing mode, or if the browser privacy settings are too restrictive. Your clippings will not be accessible, and new clippings cannot be created.
- Copying or moving a folder containing clippings and subfolders into the Synced Clippings folder causes some of those items to disappear, and the copied/moved folder to appear twice in the Clippings menu (issue #226). Workaround: create a new, empty subfolder within the Synced Clippings folder, and then copy the items into it one at a time.
- The ordering of the clippings and folders in the Synced Clippings folder is not saved (issue #227).
- If Clippings Manager is open while Sync Clippings is turned on in the extension preferences page, the Synced Clippings folder doesn't appear right away (issue #218). Workaround: close and then reopen Clippings Manager.
- If Sync Clippings is turned on and a backup is restored in Clippings Manager, the Sync Clippings folder is deleted (issue #232). Workaround: open the Clippings preferences page, then turn off Sync Clippings and turn it back on.
How To Get It
IMPORTANT! If you are already using Clippings and want to try the beta release, back up your clippings first before upgrading.
To install this beta release, head over to the Clippings 6.1 beta 1 page on GitHub. Look for the link to clippings-6.1b1.xpi, then click on it to install.
Help and Support
Questions and comments about Clippings should be directed to the AE Creations Help and Support forums, hosted on Google Groups.
If you find a bug, you may file a bug report on GitHub. Please search the issues list first to confirm that your issue has not already been reported.
UPDATE - 7 September 2018: Added list of known issues.