This is the second beta release of an upcoming version of the Sync Clippings Helper app, which introduces compatibility with macOS and Linux. This beta release is intended for testers and early adopters craving the latest and greatest. Read on to learn more about how to get it, things you should know about, and how to report a bug.
- Now compatible with macOS and Linux
- You can now browse for the sync folder location from the Sync Clippings settings dialog in Clippings preferences (requires Clippings for Firefox 6.3.2 or newer, or Clippings for Thunderbird 6.1.2 or newer)
- New in 1.2b2 When choosing the sync folder location from Sync Clippings settings, the folder picker dialog will now default to your home folder, rather than the system root folder
- New in 1.2b2 Bug fix: Thunderbird is unable to connect to Sync Clippings Helper on macOS (issue #11)
Things You Should Know About
- This beta release is only available for macOS and Linux. Sync Clippings Helper 1.2 will be available for Windows at a later date.
- Apple Silicon users: The installer package has not been tested on Apple M1 systems; it's possible that it (or the Sync Clippings Helper app) may not run at all, or it may require Rosetta 2. Use the shell script instead to install Sync Clippings Helper (see the next section, "How to Get It"). A version of the macOS installer package for Apple Silicon is planned for release.
- If you are installing Sync Clippings Helper using the setup script, make sure that Python 3 and the Tkinter package (python3-tk) is installed on your system. The setup script will check for those dependencies and will inform you if they aren't found.
How to Get It
Sync Clippings Helper is available as a macOS installer package (requires macOS 10.14 or newer) or a shell script that can be run from the command line. Get them from the Sync Clippings Helper 1.2 beta 2 page on GitHub.
Uninstalling the Previous Beta Release
If you installed Sync Clippings Helper 1.2 beta 1, you should uninstall the old version first before installing version 1.2 beta 2.
If you installed it using the macOS installer package, open Terminal and go to the folder location /Library/SyncClippings/1.2.0. Run the script uninstall.sh with sudo, and follow the prompts.
If Sync Clippings Helper was installed using the setup script, delete the following folder paths/files:
- /usr/local/opt/sync-clippings (default installation location)
Help and Support
Questions and comments should be posted to the AE Creations Help and Support forums, hosted on Google Groups.
If you find a bug with the Sync Clippings Helper app or its installers, you may file a bug report on GitHub. Please search the issues list first to confirm that your issue has not already been reported.