This new version of Clippings for Thunderbird is compatible with Thunderbird 60. Read on to learn what's new in Clippings 5.6, changes from previous releases, and how to get it.
- Compatible with Thunderbird 60
- You can paste a clipping using the Clippings 6 shortcut key prefix, ALT+SHIFT+Y (Command+Shift+Y on macOS), in addition to the traditional keys CTRL+ALT+V/Command+Option+V.
- Added a setting in the Data Source tab of the Clippings preferences dialog for enabling Sync Clippings, a new feature under development
Things You Should Know About
Please be aware of the following, as there has been changes in Thunderbird 60 that has caused some existing features of Clippings to stop working.
- Rearranging clippings and folders in Clippings Manager by drag and drop in the clippings tree is no longer possible. Use the Move toolbar button to select a folder to move or copy to, or right-click and select the Cut, Copy and Paste menu options. To rearrange items within a folder, select the folder, click the Arrange toolbar button, then in the dialog that appears, you can use drag and drop to rearrange the items in the selected folder.
- It is no longer possible to drag selected text to the Clippings status bar icon to create a clipping from the selected text. Instead, copy the text to the clipboard and then select New From Clipboard from the status bar icon's context menu.
- To display the extension preferences dialog, open Clippings Manager, then select Tools → Options. The Clippings preferences dialog is not accessible from Add-ons Manager.
- If a shortcut key is assigned to a synced clipping, and the shortcut key assignment conflicts with another clipping, the synced clipping will lose its assigned key in favor of the other clipping.
Not Compatible With Thunderbird 52.x or Firefox ESR 52.x
Clippings 5.6 is compatible with Thunderbird 60. It is not compatible with Thunderbird 52.x, nor is it compatible with Firefox ESR 52.x.
If you are using those older versions of Firefox and Thunderbird, you should install Clippings 5.5.2, which is still available.
If you want Clippings for Firefox 57 or newer, you need to install Clippings 6, available from Mozilla Add-ons and the AE Creations website.
How To Get It
New users: Clippings for Thunderbird is available from the AE Creations website. Go to the Install page for Clippings, and then follow the instructions on that page to add Clippings 5.6 to Thunderbird.
Current users of Clippings 5.5.2 or older: After upgrading to Thunderbird 60, your previous version of Clippings will be disabled -- it will not be automatically upgraded to the new release. You should uninstall the old version of Clippings, then go to the Install page for Clippings on the AE Creations website, and then follow the instructions on that page to add Clippings 5.6 to Thunderbird.
Your existing clippings data will be preserved even after uninstalling the old version of Clippings, and it will be automatically migrated when installing the new version.
Users of the previous 5.6 beta releases and the release candidate should be automatically upgraded to this official release, if automatic add-on updates are enabled.
Clippings for Thunderbird is not available from the Thunderbird Add-ons website.
Help and Support
Questions and comments about Clippings should be directed to the AE Creations Help and Support forums, hosted on Google Groups.