What's new in beta 3
- Bug fix: When searching for clippings and folders, searching for a specific folder doesn't return any results if there aren't also any matching clippings of the same name (bug 25420)
- Bug fix: The drop-down field in the General pane of the extension preferences dialog is distorted (bug 25423)
- Bug fix: On Mac OS X, the height of the extension preferences dialog is wrong, causing the dialog content to be cut off (bug 25443). NOTE: This issue is fixed on Firefox but is still occurring on Thunderbird.
- Bug fix: On Ubuntu 12.04, the Clippings Manager toolbar background is too dark (bug 25424)
Cumulative list of new features in Clippings 4.0
- Customizable data source location
- Data source backup and restore from Clippings Manager
- Search for clippings in Clippings Manager using the new Find Bar
- Auto-incrementing placeholders. These are special placeholders that you will be prompted for once to enter a starting numeric value; every time the clipping containing this placeholder is pasted, the placeholder will be automatically substituted with a value that is incremented from the last paste. Auto-incrementing placeholder names are in the format #[variable_name].
- Tab-modal placeholder prompt dialog for Firefox. With this enhancement, it is possible to interact with other browser tabs in the same window while prompted for a clipping placeholder value
- Auto spell checking of clipping text (in New Clipping dialog and Clippings Manager)
- New extension option to enable or disable the shortcut key prefix, CTRL+ALT+V (or Command+Option+V on Mac OS X)
- Shortcut key help. Press the usual shortcut key prefix, CTRL+ALT+V (or Command+Option+V on Mac OS X), then press F1 to get a list of shortcut keys and the clipping they are assigned to. This list can be printed, or saved to an HTML file.
- On Firefox, add the Clippings toolbar button to the Add-on Bar, if it is not there already
- Redesigned extension preferences dialog
How to Get It
Head over to the Clippings page on the Mozilla Add-ons website, then scroll to the bottom and expand Development Channel. Click on the yellow "Add to Firefox" button to install it for Firefox.
To install Clippings 4.0 beta 2 for Thunderbird, right-click on the yellow "Add to Firefox" button and select the option to save the XPI file. Choose a location to save the file to, then launch Thunderbird, open the Add-ons Manager, then click the Tools icon and select Install Add-on From File.
Help and Support
Send your questions and comments to the AE Creations forums. If you wish to report a bug, you can do so in Bugzilla; you will need a Bugzilla account if you don't have one already.