If you already have Clippings installed, it will be upgraded for you if automatic extension updates are enabled. Otherwise, open Add-ons Manager (Tools → Add-ons), then right-click on the entry for Clippings in the list of installed extensions and choose Find Updates.
- Placeholder prompts are back! Custom and auto-incrementing placeholders are supported. If you paste a clipping containing placeholders, you will be prompted to fill in their values (or select from a list if there are multiple default values). Auto-incrementing placeholders can be reset by right-clicking on the Clippings button on the browser toolbar
- Clipping labels have also returned. They can be set when creating a clipping from the New Clipping dialog, and changed in Clippings Manager
- Added ability to backup and restore your clippings from Clippings Manager (click on the Tools menu)
- Resizable tree list in Clippings Manager
- You can now undo edits to clipping/folder name and clipping content in Clippings Manager
- Added ability to maximize the Clippings Manager window by selecting Tools → Maximize or pressing CTRL+F10 (macOS users: this feature is already available by selecting the Window → Zoom command from the menu bar at the top of the screen. This feature may not work on Linux.)
- Bug fix: On Linux, the Clippings Manager window is always on top. This issue is fixed by automatically minimizing Clippings Manager when switching to another window
- Other minor fixes
Things You Should Know About
Clippings 6 is a WebExtension for Firefox 57 and newer. It is not compatible with Mozilla Thunderbird. Thunderbird users should install Clippings 5.5.2, available from the Past Versions page on the AE Creations website.
There are several differences compared to previous versions of Clippings:
- Due to WebExtensions being restricted from using any keyboard shortcuts that start with CTRL + ALT, the keyboard paste key has now changed - it is now ALT+SHIFT+Y (Cmd+Shift+Y on macOS).
- Clippings won't work in Private Browsing mode, or if the browser privacy settings are too restrictive. Your clippings will not be accessible, and new clippings cannot be created.
- Clippings Manager can import the legacy Clippings RDF/XML datasource file format (*.rdf files) as well as the new Clippings 6 format; however, it can only export to Clippings 6 format. To exchange clippings from Clippings 6 with other users, they need to have Clippings 5.5 or newer installed.
Help and Support
Known issues with Clippings 6 are listed here.
Questions and comments about Clippings should be directed to the AE Creations Help and Support forums, hosted on Google Groups.