01 September 2022

Monthly update: September 2022

I'll be posting to the blog every month or so to share news on what's happening with my current projects. Not only do I hope to give interested readers a look into what I'm up to, it should also be a nice break from the usual (and repetitive) posts announcing new releases of my extensions.

I've implemented some small improvements to the new AE Creations website to make it easier to update content for each new release of my Firefox and Thunderbird extensions. I've been experimenting with different forum software, with the possibility of replacing the existing AE Creations Help and Support Forums which are currently hosted on Google Groups. I've since abandoned that after realizing the enormous amount of effort and responsibility of running my own online forum. I don't have the time or the patience to be constantly moderating forum content and combating spam, and is something I'd rather delegate to Google Groups -- though that comes with the disadvantage of requiring all users who want to participate in the forums to sign up for a Google account.

Over the last several months, I've been working on a new Firefox extension, Read Next, that adds a reading list sidebar. Read Next also provides the ability to sync your reading list to the cloud using Dropbox, and provides many customization options to keep your reading list lean and organized. More details are coming soon on a beta release, and a call for testers!

I'm looking farther ahead to supporting Manifest v3 (MV3) for all my Firefox extensions, with Clippings being the priority. There will be a fair amount of work needed to make it run in the context of a restartable background script, and I expect that it will keep me busy during my spare time throughout the next few months.

I'm also planning on a major update for Clippings for Thunderbird which will remove all remaining legacy XUL-based code and fully transition it to a MailExtension. This will make it easier for me to maintain it with each new yearly Thunderbird release, and should hopefully ease any concerns from prospective users who may be scared off by the current extension permission request to have "full, unrestricted access to Thunderbird, and your computer."

Comments and feedback are welcome, and you can post them below or in the AE Creations Help and Support Forums. I look forward to sharing more news and thoughts about Firefox and Thunderbird extension development on a regular basis. Until then, enjoy these last few days of summer!

No comments: